Urging our nation's leaders to end hunger
print this page

Regional Organizer –Southern Hub (Organizing)

Full Time:

LOCATION: Mississippi                          

REPORTS TO: Deputy Director of Organizing

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Lead the engagement and management of local African American churches in Mississippi. Also  build, organize and strengthen a regional grassroots network  to help Bread for the World accomplish its legislative goals toward ending hunger and poverty in the United States and internationally.

 RESPONSIBILITIES/ACTIVITIES:

  1. For about 75% of the total effort, manage a portfolio of local predominantly African American churches that will initially include churches in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas; For the remaining 25% effort, manage a portfolio of other local churches, teams and activists initially in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas.
  2. Engage, educate and motivate a hub network of members, activists, churches, campuses, volunteers, grasstops and other organizational groups on hunger related issues and advocacy through Bread team formation, Offerings of Letters, workshops and training sessions, speaking to groups, media work, lobbying visits,  and other means; seeks endorsements from denominational leaders. 
  3. Recruit new members, churches and campuses for financial and advocacy support; ensures that diversity (race, ethnic, age, denomination) is an active part of recruitment.
  4. Recruit people from the hub to participate in annual national conference and/or lobby day; leads workshops, organizes congressional visits and prepares participants for lobbying.
  5. Train volunteers in lobbying, media engagement and community organizing; creates and manages training events and seminars.
  6. Implement long and short range goals and plans through analysis of hub area demographics, characteristics, congressional voting records and other data to strengthen organized networks for advocacy.  Work with activists to develop networks within their districts and communities.  Determine grassroots strategies, working with local activists and key national office staff.
  7. Communicate regularly with activists and members.  Develop and activate quick lines, listservs and email alert messages on legislative actions. Notify membership and interested parties about upcoming events and actions and provides information to the national website manager for posting. 
  8. Stay abreast of legislative and organizational development.
  9. Develop an annual work plan to support departmental and organizational goals.
  10. Collaborate  with the national associate for African American Church Engagement staff person
  11. Perform other duties as assigned.

 SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:

  • Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
  • Minimum of five years' organizing experience
  • Understanding of public policy advocacy, legislative process, international and domestic hunger, and congregational/denominational governance
  • Experience working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic and denominational lines
  • Demonstrated background in working with African American faith communities and historical Black Colleges and Universities
  • Knowledgeable of judicatory structures of Historic Black denominations
  • Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
  • Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, Internet, databases

WORK ENVIRONMENT ISSUES:

  • Overnight travel up to 50%, including 3-4 weeks per year in Washington, DC
  • Experience working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and denominational lines
  • Valid Driver's License and driving history that is consistent with the ability to be insured at an affordable, “safe driver” rate (Determined at Bread's discretion)
  • This position will be deployed in Mississippi or another location at Bread's discretion
  • The individual chosen for this position must be able to work from home.
  • Self-motivated and ability to work independently.

DISCLAIMER:

The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification.  It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.

HOW TO APPLY:

Please submit a cover letter and resume to Careers.Org@bread.org or fax these materials to the attention of LaMarco Cable at 202-688-1155. Visit our website http://www.bread.org/about-us/jobs/ for a full listing of open positions.


Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation’s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad. Please visit www.bread.org for a full listing of available positions.

Bread for the World is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Connect with Us

Bread for the World