2013 National Gathering: A Place at the Table
June 8-11, Washington, D.C.
“The Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples....”
|Worship. Powerful preaching, praise, and prayer will be offered throughout the National Gathering. Preaching during the Sunday service on June 9 will be the Rev. Dr. James Forbes, whom Newsweek magazine named as one of the 12 most effective preachers in the English-speaking world.|
|Learn. On June 8-10, participate in workshops and general sessions on issues such as poverty-focused development assistance, advocacy in the 21st century, budget battles, moving Congress, and building community coalitions.|
|Engage. Interact with international development experts, nongovernmental organization leaders, and policy makers as we focus on the issue of maternal and children nutrition on June 10.|
|Network. Connect with friends, both new and old, from around the world.|
|Act. On June 11, meet senators, representatives, and their staff as you advocate for programs that ensure a place at the table for all people.|
|Enjoy. Lazarus, a musical composed for Bread for the World by Joel Underwood, will be resurrected with new music and staging by the musician Bill Cummings. Also, meet some of the people featured in the film A Place at the Table.|
View the at-a-glance SCHEDULE.
Learn more about the WORKSHOPS.
- Rev. Dr. James Forbes, Senior Minister Emeritus, The Riverside Church
- Rev. David Beckmann, President of Bread for the World
- Rev. Luis Cortes, President of Esperanza
- Kristi Jacobson, Director of A Place at the Table
- Dr. Raj Shah, Administrator of USAID
- Rev. John McCullough, President of Church World Service
- Kathy Saile, Director of Domestic Social Development, US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Special recognition of Rev. Ron Sider, retiring president of Evangelicals for Social Action
Photo: Rev. David Beckmann, president of Bread for the World and Alliance to End Hunger; Barbie Izquierdo, profiled in A Place at the Table; and Adlai Amor, director of communications at Bread for the World, are pictured during the National Hunger Free Communities Summit held in Washington, D.C. at the Mayflower Hotel on March 2, 2013. All three will be providing insight on hunger issues at the National Gathering. Photo by Amanda Lucidon for Bread for the World
Please visit this page regularly for updates and the most up-to-date schedule.