- How You Can Help
- Write to Congress
- Become a Member
- Take Part in Bread Rising
- Engage Your Church
- Organize Your Community
- Join an Event in Your Area
Lenten Prayers for Hungry People: Table Tents
Download a free copy of the 2014 Lenten Prayers for Hungry People to help make a difference in God's world! This resource, a 6 x 9 inch "table tent," presents a scripture reading, prayer, and call to action for each of the five weeks of Lent plus Holy Week and makes a terrific resource for your church, Bible study, or small group – request your free copies today!
Forty Days for 1,000 Days
The Lenten period is an ideal time to make your faith real by taking action to eliminate the evils of hunger and malnutrition from our world.
Bread for the World has worked in collaboration with Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement to develop a series of Lenten activities around the theme of Maternal and Child Nutrition in the 1,000-day window between pregnancy and a child’s second birthday.
- Lenten Bible Study Guide: Over the six weeks of Lent, congregations and worshippers can use this Bible Study Guide, written by representatives from the denominations in Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement to make connections between Christ’s mission and the health of mothers and children around the world.
- Lenten Bulletin Insert
- Lenten Litany
- Lenten Ritual: Blessing Champions of Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Bread for the Preacher This monthly email newsletter about the lectionary texts will incorporate 1,000 Days themes for Lent. Follow this link to sign up for this free resource or to read and download current or past issues.
(c) Karla Adolphe
"Hunger and Thirst"
(c) 2011 Tracy Howe Wispelwey
Album: Hold on to Love
Publisher: Restoration Village Music Group, restorationvillagearts.org
- Pledge to be a Champion for Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Communicate With Your Members of Congress, Using This Fact Sheet
Daily Lenten Activities
- Hold 40 Conversations About 1,000 Days
- Read the Breadblog: On each day of Lent, Bread for the World’s blog will feature a reflection that connects Lenten introspection to the nutritional needs of our youngest brothers and sisters and their mothers
- Follow Us on Facebook: Bread for the World will be sharing Lenten reflections each day on Facebook during the season. "Like" Bread for the World and share those posts about the importance of maternal and child nutrition. More Lenten posts on this topic will appear on the Facebook page for Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement: www.facebook.com/womenoffaith1000days.
Activities for Children and Families
Children can learn about how their faith connects them to other children around the world. These activities help parents, Sunday school teachers, and other leaders make Lent more meaningful for children.
- Our Daily Bread Collage
- Seven Cents a Day
- All That Children Need Mobile
- Telling Others Announcements
- Making It Through the Month Maze
- Feeding a Family Game
- Show Your Concern by Writing a Letter
More Resources for Lent
During this season of Lent, our wilderness journey with Jesus seems even bleaker since our nation is struggling to balance the needs of hungry and poor people with the need to reduce budget deficits and the national debt.
Drawn by the Spirit, we feel called into a time of prayer and fasting, turning to God for guidance and expecting that God will lead our nation in a new direction.
Bread for the World Institute's 2014 Hunger Report, Ending Hunger in America, proposes bold steps to end hunger in the United States by 2030. Returning the economy closer to the full employment level of 2000 would also decrease hunger from today’s rate of 14.5 percent.
The 2014 Hunger Report Christian Study Guide is a resource for church, school and other groups that want to reflect more deeply on the biblical basis for work to combat poverty, hunger, and inequality in society and linkages to key recommendations in the Hunger Report.
Order the Hunger Report (including the Christian study guide) for $20 plus shipping at www.bread.org/store »
Download it free from the Hunger Report website »
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.