- About Hunger
- Women of Faith for 1,000 Days
- U.S. Hunger
- Global Hunger
- Hunger & Poverty Facts
- Maternal & Child Nutrition
- Foreign Assistance
- Poverty-Focused Programs
- Development Goals
- Food Security Initiative
- Trade and Agriculture
- Climate Change
- Immigration and Hunger
- The Bible and Hunger
Women of Faith for 1,000 Days
Certain groups of people are often at greater risk of hunger than others. Among them are women and children. One effective way to break the cycle of hunger is to intervene early in the lives of children — even before birth — and provide them with good nutrition.
The 1,000 days from pregnancy through a child’s second birthday are the most crucial for a child’s development. But many women around the world don’t have access to proper nutrition for themselves or their children. Without adequate nutrition during this critical period, children suffer permanent cognitive and physical delays. Out of a deep sense of call, women of faith have joined together to support the international Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) group of developing countries for better nutrition in the 1,000-day window.
Learn about and take action on current global nutrition legislation:
- Current global nutrition legislation (what Bread staff and Congress are working on)
- Nutrition funding and strategy: What legislation can you communicate with Congress about?
How can you connect to the movement?
- "Like" our Facebook page and connect with other women who care about proper nutrition for mothers and children. Share stories about your conversations!
- Gather a group of friends, family, or church members and learn more about maternal and child nutrition.
- Write a letter to Congress asking that a circle of protection be formed around programs that support nutrition during this critical 1,000-day window. Here is some information you can include in your letter.
- Facilitate 1,000 conversations about maternal and child nutrition in 1,000 days in your church. There are many ways to have a "conversation"— here are some ideas.
- Take a moment to fill out this form pledging to be a champion for maternal and child nutrition.
- Below are some resources to help you along the way. Check back periodically to see what's new!
- 1,000 Days: The Issue & the Tools. A PDF of the entire booklet produced by Bread for the World.
- Songs for 1,000 Days album inspires and delights while informing listeners about the critical issue of maternal and child nutrition.
- For Advent: Mary's Story: Bible Study Guide on Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Creative Actions for 1,000 Days Champions
- Maternal and Child Nutrition Overview
- Maternal and Child Nutrition is Critical. This information can be used for writing a letter to your member of Congres about protecting programs that support the 1,000-day window of opportunity.
- Information about Feed the Future and The Global Health Initiative
- Women of the ELCA Resolution on the 1,000 Days Initiative
- The PCUSA Overuture
- A flier to promote Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement in your community
- Bread for the World Institute Briefing Papers on nutrition:
- Harmonizing Nutrition Monitoring and Evaluation Across U.S. Government Agencies
- A Global Development Agenda: Toward 2015 and Beyond
- Implementing Nutrition-Sensitive Development: Reaching Consensus
- Scaling Up Global Nutrition: Bolstering U.S. Government Capacity
- From L’Aquila to Camp David: Sustaining the Momentum on Global Food and Nutrition Security
- Enabling and Equipping Women to Improve Nutrition
- Improving Food Aid to Improve Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Linking Nutrition and Health: Progress and Opportunities
- Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Women’s Missionary Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Presbyterian Women in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Inc.
- Leadership Conference of Women Religious
- Church Women United
- National Council of Catholic Women
- National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA-Women’s Ministries
- United Methodist Women
- Reformed Church in America Women’s Ministries
- Women’s Home and Overseas Missionary Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Women’s Missionary Council of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
- American Baptist Women's Ministries, ABCUSA
- Christian Connections for International Health
- The Episcopal Church
- National Latino Evangelical Coalition
- Women's Ministries Disciples of Christ
- World Day of Prayer USA
- Church World Service
- Armadas Para Vencer, Inc.
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.