- About Hunger
- U.S. Hunger
- Global Hunger
- Hunger & Poverty Facts
- Maternal & Child Nutrition
- Foreign Assistance
- Poverty-Focused Programs
- Development Goals
- Food Security Initiative
- Trade and Agriculture
- Climate Change
- Immigration and Hunger
- The Bible and Hunger
Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement
The 1,000 days from pregnancy through a child’s second birthday are the most crucial for a child’s development. But many women around the world don’t have access to proper nutrition for themselves or their children. Without adequate nutrition during this critical period, children suffer permanent cognitive and physical delays. Out of a deep sense of call, women of faith have joined together to support the international Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) movement for better nutrition in the 1,000 day window.
Take Action: Reps. Debbie Wasserman Shultz (D-FL) and Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL) have introduced H. Res. 254: Recognizing the Importance of U.S. Leadership in Addressing Global Maternal and Child Nutrition. Learn how you can help get it passed.
How can you get involved?
Women of faith are pledging to be champions for maternal and child nutrition in 1,000 days. We want you to join the movement! Here’s how to get involved, as well as resources to help you.
- “Like” our Facebook page and connect with other women who care about proper nutrition for mothers and children. Share stories about your conversations!
- Gather a group of friends, family, or church members and learn more about maternal and child nutrition.
- Write a letter to Congress asking that a circle of protection be formed around programs that support nutrition during this critical 1,000-day window. Here are some tips about what to say in your letter.
- Facilitate 1,000 conversations about maternal and child nutrition in 1,000 days in your church. There are many ways to have a “conversation”— here are some ideas.
- Take a moment to fill out this form pledging to be a champion for maternal and child nutrition.
- Here are some resources to help you along the way. Check back periodically to see what’s new!
- Songs for 1,000 Days album inspires and delights while informing listeners about the critical issue of maternal and child nutrition.
- For Advent: Mary's Story: Bible Study Guide on Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Download the full 1,000 Conversations Kit
- 1,000 Conversations to Improve Nutrition
- Maternal and Child Nutrition Fact Sheet
- Maternal and Child Nutrition is Critical. This sheet provides information for writing your member of Congress about protecting programs that support the 1,000-day window of opportunity.
- Information about Feed the Future and The Global Health Initiative
- Form for joining the movement
- Women of the ELCA Resolution on the 1,000 Days Initiative
- A flier to promote Women of Faith for the 1,000 Days Movement in your community
- Briefing papers on nutrition: Enabling and Equipping Women to Improve Nutrition, Improving Food Aid to Improve Maternal and Child Nutrition, and Linking Nutrition and Health: Progress and Opportunities
- Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Women’s Missionary Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Presbyterian Women in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Inc.
- Leadership Conference of Women Religious
- Church Women United
- National Council of Catholic Women
- National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA-Women’s Ministries
- United Methodist Women
- Reformed Church in America Women’s Ministries
- Women’s Home and Overseas Missionary Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Women’s Missionary Council of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
- American Baptist Women's Ministries, ABCUSA
- Christian Connections for International Health
- The Episcopal Church
- National Latino Evangelical Coalition
- Women's Ministries Disciples of Christ
- World Day of Prayer USA
- Church World Service
- Armadas Para Vencer, Inc.
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.