Act Now: Speak Up for Hungry People
With Congress in recess until Sept. 6, many senators and representatives are in their districts — providing a crucial opportunity for you to talk to them about protecting programs that help hungry people. Pending legislation in the House of Representatives is particularly worrisome, so make sure to speak to your representative in the House, if at all possible.
"This fall is going to be extremely intense," according to Bread for the World policy analyst Amelia Kegan. She urges Bread members to set up in-district meetings with their members of Congress, attend any town hall meetings that their members are holding, and write letters to the editor about the issues below.
Read Bread’s August Policy Focus article to learn more about the issues. Here are some basic talking points to help you convey your concern for hungry people:
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps)
- I urge you to protect and strengthen SNAP and to protect and improve international food aid in any final farm bill package.
- Cuts to SNAP in the farm bill will make it even more difficult for families to put food on the table.
- I urge you to support reforms to international food aid by supporting the Senate’s local regional procurement (LRP) provision in the farm bill.
- I also ask you to support the Senate’s food aid quality provisions in the farm bill.
BUDGET AND SEQUESTRATION
- Sequestration is hurting some of our most vulnerable populations, including poor seniors and low-income kids.
- I urge you to replace sequestration with a balanced plan that includes revenues and smart spending cuts. Don’t just shift defense cuts onto nondefense programs.
- Enact a 2014 budget that protects funding for anti-hunger and anti-poverty programs in the United States and around the world.
- Support compassionate and just immigration reform bill that creates a path out of poverty for hard-working immigrant families
Photo: Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) meets with Bread for the World activist Margaret Edmondson of Idaho during Bread for the World's Lobby Day in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, June 12, 2012. Photo by Rick Reinhard for Bread for the World
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.