Bread for the World is delighted to announce the new members of the 2019 Board of Directors.
Thousands of Bread members voted in our annual election of board members. You elected an exceptionally committed group of activists, faith and community leaders, experts, members of Congress, and people who have long been involved in working toward the end of hunger.
New members will join the board beginning Jan. 1:
- Bishop Doug Beacham is general superintendent of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church.
- Kara Bobroff is founder and executive director of Native American Community Academy, a tuition-free public charter school that includes students from more than 37 different tribes.
- U.S. Sen. Chris Coons (Del.-D). He serves as an honorary member of the board of directors.
- Jeremy Everett is the founder and executive director of the Texas Hunger Initiative, a capacity-building, anti-hunger project within Baylor University.
- Dr. Jeffrey Haggray is executive director of the American Baptist Churches Home Mission Society based in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
- Rev. Allison Mark is senior pastor of Faith United Methodist Church of Torrance, California.
They will join the incumbent board members in providing vision and setting the direction for the organization and its initiatives. More detailed biographies for these new members as well as all members of the board of directors can be found here.
The board of directors elected the following officers for 2019:
- Chair: John Carr, founder and director of the Initiative on Catholic Social Thought and Public Life at Georgetown University.
- Vice Chair: Dr. Iva Carruthers, general secretary of Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference, which engages progressive African-American faith leaders in social justice issues.
- Secretary: Carlos Malavé, executive director of Christian Churches Together in the USA, an ecumenical forum of churches and Christian organizations from all the families of U.S. Christianity.
- Treasurer: Michael Martin, an internal medicine specialist on the clinical faculty at the University of California in San Francisco and long-time Bread for the World member.
Bread for the World is honored by the service and commitment of the board of directors. Contact Jamie Thomas at [email protected] if you would like to nominate someone for future board membership.