By Eric Mitchell
In just the last three weeks, so much has been accomplished because of your faithful advocacy:
- Congress passed a major bipartisan budget deal. The agreement provides relief from harmful cuts that were poised to take place.
- The Senate Judiciary Committee passed the Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act (SRCA), S. 2123 by a vote of 15-5. The bill would reduce overly harsh sentences, alleviating some of the harmful and hunger-promoting consequences that come with long prison sentences.
- We’ve reached over 100 House cosponsors on the Global Food Security Act (GFSA), H.R. 1567 — surpassing our goal! This bill would put Feed the Future, a highly successful agriculture development program, into law for good.
One thing is clear: constituent advocacy made all the difference. Thank you! But we can’t stop now. There is more work to be done.
- The budget deal may have passed, but Congress still needs to decide how much money each program will get. Programs serving families struggling with hunger and poverty are competing against programs backed by special interests and corporate lobbyists. Email Congress today, and urge them to invest in critical anti-hunger programs.
- The full Senate must pass the SRCA, and the House needs to pass legislation as well. Email Congress today, and urge them to pass the SRCA.
- Support for the GFSA is growing. It’s time the House pass this bill. Email Congress today. Tell them to cosponsor and pass the GFSA without delay.
- Congress still needs to reauthorize our child nutrition programs, so that more children can access the nutritious food they need to grow and learn. Email Congress today. Tell them to pass a child nutrition bill that protects child nutrition programs and connects more children with healthy meals.
It may not always feel like it, but your words carry weight and can result in amazing victories. Take a few minutes to reach out to your members of Congress. Call (800/826-3688) or email Congress today. Tell them to finish the job on the budget, criminal justice reform, and the Global Food Security Act.
Eric Mitchell is the director of government relations at Bread for the World.